Welch Family Journal

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Jesus loves the little children of the world

red and yellow, black, and white . . . Well, it happened, Emma has begun to notice people different than her. We were sitting at a stoplight today and she looked over and saw a black lady sitting in her van, window rolled down resting ehr arm on the window ledge. Emma looks over and says "his arm is black" I look over and say "yes baby it is" She says "it's supposed to be like me" while holding her arm up. I ask "like you? what do you mean? white?" "Yeah" I think oh man ok. Then I say "Well sweetie. not everyone is white like you. God made lots of people all different colors. White like you, black, brown, tan, and even red when you get sunburned. But it doesn't matter what their skin color is they are still fun people to play with. You know like Anyia at bible class and ebeneezer at daycare" "yeah" She seemed to accept this and went on watching out the window.

2 Comments:

At 6:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I recall a story about Darron when he was little. He was at the store with his Mom and saw a black person and said, "Look Mom! They're burnt." He was about Emma's age. :-)

 
At 8:57 AM, Blogger Marie said...

That is great! Just a few min ago, Caleb asked an older black woman how she got burnt. The older lady smiled and said God made me this color so we wouldn't all be the same. I reminded him that God made people in different colors and God made her black. Caleb then asked if he could be black!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home