Welch Family Journal

Saturday, February 28, 2009

Lice continued- week 4

When we thought the horror of lice was done. . .. we got it again!

Now it's 4 weeks later . . .
we've treated emma hair 7 times in 4 weeks
we've picked at nits until I could stand the crying no more
we've dried out her scalp horribly
we've had a call from the school office every other day saying "she's itching still. no lice. still several nits"

This mommy was out of options. . . . I called Granny (of course) and she said to call Emma's nurse. I called her nurse and this is our conversation . . .
Me: "blah blah blah (explaining the last 4 weeks) Is there anything else I can do? I can't get all these nits and her head is so very dry now"
Nurse: "well, this may sound gross but there's one thing you could try"
Me: "Ok"
Nurse: "Get a jar of Mayo. Rub it all in her hair. Put a shower cap on it. Leave it overnight. Rinse in the morning. Pick through hair with nit comb."
Me; "ummm ok"
Nurse: "I know it sounds gross but it may help smother the nits, make it greasy enough to help pick them out eaiser, and should help her dry scalp."
Me: "I'm ready to do anything."

So yes, we mayo-ed up her hair. And mine. Yes, mine. I didn't want her to feel like an outcast so I did it all with her. It was a hard thing for me to do since I don't like to touch mayo, I don't like the smell of mayo, and I rarely like the taste of mayo. :)

It was a tough night. Our hair smelled. Our shower caps crinkled when we moved. Our shower caps slid around when we rolled over. It was along night for us both.

We finally made it to the morning light. I rinsed out her hair then began picking it through. That took a while. Then I sent her up to the tub to wash her hair more with smell good shampoo! While she was in the tub I rinsed out my hair with shampoo in the sink. After her bath, I took a shower and re-washed my hair. Neither of us has itched all day. Our hair still has a faint smell of a deli shop. Both of our hairs look a tad shiney. But all in all I think it helped. We made it through. Hopefully we NEVER get lice again. I might have a break down if we do anytime in the near future!

Here's a couple of pictures pre-treatment:



Emma was so excited to use Mommy's camera



Have you ever seen two cuter girls?

2 Comments:

At 5:25 AM, Blogger Marie said...

uggh! Not sure I could do the mayo- brave you! Some of my students were talking about the mayo treatment (cheaper than the other stuff) and i thought they were kidding! I am so not looking forward to it when Riley hits school. How are you all doing now? Miss you friend- so need to get together!

 
At 4:11 PM, Blogger grossly informed said...

Uh mayo, doesn't sound like a neat and clean approach for a kid. One thing you should consider is using a spray or shampoo that prevents lice in the first place. I'm a dad and I use the Rosemary Repel shampoo on my kids, one because my wife told me too, but they've never got lice and their hair smells good. My little 6 year old even used the spray on herself before going to school today.

You don't need to use toxic chemicals to rid yourself of lice but mayo aint gonna work I don't think unless you do it for several nights. Drowns the critters. Save the may for the tuna. I thinkits fairytaleshaircare.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home