Welch Family Journal

Thursday, March 22, 2007

It's my birthday . . .

I can be sick if I want to . . .


Tuesday we Garrett's one year Birthday! Tuesday late afternoon we got home and he had 102 temp and was drooling a lot. i chalked it up to teething since he had no other symptoms. I gave him meds every 4 hours most of the night and morning. We went to daycare anyways since you can't call in every time you kid gets a tooth. :) Then he began pulling on his ear again (he was pulling on his ears the whole week we were skiing) and every 3 hours hi temp was back up around 102-103. So I called mom and confirmed I should take him in to at least check his ears. I made an appt for thurs afternoon. we went about our night and I sent him to Bible class. His new big boy Bible class with Mrs. Marci and Gigi and Mrs. Sharon! Marci came and got me about 1/2 way through because he was visibly shaking. I just figured it was his temp from the ear infection and teething because it'd been 4 hours since his last dose of meds. So I held him until class was over and I could go get Emma. I took him to the car and checked his temp it said 102.7 under the arm (which means it was really 103.7) I called mom again and asked if what to do. She said to go ahead and have him checked out so he wasn't miserable all night. I drove to baptist springhill. Matt met us there and took Emma home to bed. We got in by 9pm and she took his temp (the baby way) and it was 105! Which makes me question my thermometer. They got me in and gave him a does of advil and tylenol, took blood, did a chest x-ray. then we began the waiting. They came in at 10 and took his temp. it had gone down to 101. at 11 his temp broke and it was 98.7. They did a flu test. The dr came back in a little later and said all tests were neg or normal. (my kid normal?) He said they were going to give him a strong antibiotic shot rosuphin (sp?) and he was supposed to get a recheck today by his reg dr to be sure he was alright. They think it was just viral but his dr is supposed to check it out today to rule out bacterial. He slept all night and it still sleeping at 9am so far. I'd wake up go in shoot some drugs in his mouth. He'd frown and roll back over. Poor baby was tired after his long night. His dr apt is at 1:40pm today. I will send out another email when I know for sure.
Prayers would be greatly appreciated! Both kids could use prayers. It seems like one or both are very sick everyotehr week these days.

Update:
I don't have to question my thermometer. This is from the all knowing mom!
You’re thermometer is fine. When taking rectal temps, they are 1 degree higher than under the tongue, just like under the arm is one degree lower. So your temp 102.7 = 103.7 Their temp 105 = 104 Right on the money.

Also: A big thanks to Aunt Judy and Uncle Frank for the Wiggly Eye Birthday book. Since we went straight from daycare yesterday we had no wipes (until daddy brought us some) or toys except the book we'd brought in the car with us in the morning. It helped us through all the waiting (when he wasn't sleeping) on the Dr. :)


1 Comments:

At 4:14 PM, Blogger Angela said...

Whoo-hoo! She's back! I missed the Garrett and Emma updates! :) Sorry the little ones have been sick lately. I hope things get better! The weather is warming up so hopefully that will help.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home