Welch Family Journal

Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Dangers of a car door

Saturday night as we were getting back from dinner and grocery shopping, Emma got out of the car like usual and began to shut her door. Then we hear a bloodcurdeling scream. We look back and her finger is stuck in the door. Matt is almost of out the car anyway so he reaches around and opens the door while I jump out of my seat and run to her. We get her inside and began to look at it. It is already swollen, bleeding a little, and nasty looking. I give her Advil and an ice pack. She is screaming and crying. All night long she keeps crying and can't do anything. I call mom (our on duty nurse) she says to keep it elevated and giver her advil throughout the night. SO I let Emmers sleep with em. She wakes up every 2-3 hours crying that her finger hurts.

Sunday morning she feels better she says she can swing her hand around and everything. So we go to church. Then the Advil wears off, and she's not as chipper. We get home and Advil up more and nap. That helps. She is able to go and play at the building but still can't let anything touch her hand and still needs Advil every 3 hours. I let her sleep with me again Sunday night. Same as before up every 2-3 hours needing Advil.

So, I cancel going to the pool monday and get her a Dr. appt. The dr looks at it and as we feared (because Tanya and mom said this may happen) they are going to have to drain the nail to let the blood out. Emma was soooooo brave. She sat on my lap, turned her head right before the Dr put a hot needle thingy on her nail to burn a hole in it. Emma didn't flinch or cry at all! She let the nurse squeeze her finger a little to get more blood to drip out. She was so brave! She amazed her Dr too! She did so good we went to The Purple Cow for ice cream cones afterwards. She deserved a treat after enduring all that!

You could tell an hour after getting her hand done it was feeling at least some better. I gave Advil the rest of the night like before. About an hour before bedtime she came running downstairs saying "my fingers bleeding again" She had gotten her hand wet and the dried blood had disolved and let more leak out. The nurse had told us to do this anyways and I was trying to figure out how to make her do it. Since she did it on her own on accident it worked out great. I calmly told her that was supposed to happen and to just keep blotting it with a kleenex until it was done and dried up again.

Last night she slept all night long without waking up once because of her finger! Yessss! We may be on the uphill climb of this. Hopefully I can get her to drain it again today and get more blood out to speed recovery even more.

Here's a few pictures of the finger right before we went to the Dr. and then some shots of the ice cream treat.
Thanks to my mother who made taking pictures possible again!

Purple Ice Cream!

Purple tongue 

Messy Face

She gets it from her Daddy!


All tuckered out 


At 9:30 AM, Blogger Allison said...

Aww Emma. I'm so sorry you hurt your finger! Hang in there and tell Mommy to be nice to you!
(and yes, I'm still grateful that didn't happen at my house...)

At 12:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is a baaaad finger! Can I put your mom on speed dial? Emma is such a brave girl. Glad she has a brave Mommy too :)

At 12:29 PM, Blogger Marie said...

Great Job Emma! We are proud of you for doing so good here in TN!!! I'm not sure my boys would have been that brave. Glad you are feeling better!!

At 5:11 PM, Blogger laura said...

oh my goodness! what a brave little girl! so worthy of purple ice cream! i love emma's hair short... so precious!


Post a Comment

<< Home