Welch Family Journal

Monday, August 27, 2007

Too young to potty train?

Poll:
What's the right age to potty train?

Reason:
My just turned 17 month old son said "I potty" while pointing to the bathroom at daycare today. I decided to give it a try and see what happened. He tugged at his diaper. I took it off and sat him on the potty. He held on for a min then tried to pull toilet paper off and wipe his bottom. I don't know if I should really try it or not. I think I will take him when I'm taking my class at daycare and let him try but not worry about doing it too serious unless he shows signs of really being able to start to have controll over pottying. what do ya'll think?

5 Comments:

At 6:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd encourage, but not push. It's very good to know that he grasps the idea!

 
At 2:57 PM, Blogger Marie said...

yea, I would take him when he asks, but not push it till he is really ready and not just interested in the idea.

 
At 8:20 PM, Blogger Angela said...

As I don't have kids, my opinion obviously doesn't count, but it sounds good if he's trying, right? :)

Interesting that you should post this today...Roman told me about this article today on diaperless babies...not sure if you've read about it or not...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20464264/wid/11915773

 
At 10:07 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

From my experience, the earlier you start, the longer potty training will take. Which can be just fine. And of course not true in all cases. But if you don't expect it to move along quickly, so there wouldn't be any pressure on him, it would be just fine to start now. And it definately is not unheard of for children to become potty trained at this age. So bless you on your endeavor and happy potty training! ;)

 
At 6:55 PM, Blogger Amy said...

camille showed interest around this age and so we bought a training potty and she actually went a couple times (usually whhile the bath water was running). Anyway, she lost interest pretty quickly so we put it away and got it back out about 6 months later. She really caught on that time. Haven't looked back since:-) Good luck!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home